Homeschool in Minnesota in a Few Simple Steps

So you want to homeschool in Minnesota?

There are a myriad of reasons to homeschool and this is the time of year many parents mull over making this big decision. Well, if you’re ready to take the plunge, I hope to help you navigate the process for the state of Minnesota. Now, this post won’t tell you which curriculum to use or which standardized test to utilize, but it will make you official to your district.

First things first

homeschool officials

First, be aware of the law in Minnesota. Here is the Minnesota Statue as it relates to Compulsory Instruction. The law pertains to ALL educational instruction, not just homeschool. Don’t let this intimidate you regarding the process. I just think it’s a good idea to read the law entirely before taking the next steps.  Note, you do not have to report your child until they are 7 years of age.  If they turn 7 after October 1 you don’t report them until the following October.

Make it Official!

Now that you have read the law, next is to report to your local school district. This letter should be sent to the Superintendent of your district by October 1. The Initial Report covers a few basic things: Who you are, who you will be homeschooling and their birth dates, an up-to-date immunization record and the standardized test you will be using.

If you want to continue homeschooling the following year, you let the district know you are continuing to homeschool. This will detail any changes that have taken place, if any. Did you change which test you want to use? Do you have to update immunizations for your 7th grader? Are you adding a new student? Those kinds of things.

Note, this above information could be in the form of a letter you write yourself citing the laws, or to make it easy you can use either one of these forms:

From MACHE (Minnesota Association of Christian Home Educators) Intial and Continuing Report

From MHA (Minnesota Homeschoolers’ Alliance) Initial Report

Be aware, the state does have its own forms they can send you, but I strongly recommend using MACHE’s or MHA’s reporting forms or your own letter. I advise that because the state requests more information than they are legally entitled to.


Once you have filled out the forms and mailed them you are OFFICIALLY A HOMESCHOOLER!

Help along the way

Finally, I highly recommend joining one of these local organizations: MACHE or MHA  . Their websites offers help to newbies or experienced homeschooling families.

Also, joining the national organization HSLDA would be beneficial.  This association is right on top of any legislature that concerns homeschooling throughout the country. Additionally, the state section lets you zero in on laws and issues directly affecting you.

Happy Schooling!


About Deb

Hello, I'm the Lady of the Castle. Actually I'm more like the ring leader in a circus. I've been married to the King for 14 years and we've been together for 22. I homeschool the kids and keep the home in order as it relates to cleaning and cooking. I'm a disciple of Christ and am learning how to keep my walk grounded in Him.

Leave a Reply