Hydro Electric Turbine
1924 – 1994
Location: 44°54’52.5″N 93°11’54.7″W
Weight: 15 Tons
Rotation Speed: 100 RPM
This is one of the four turbines Ford Motor Company installed in 1924 at the hydro electric plant located below this lookout. The Turbines were replaced between 1992 and 1994 after 70 years of service. This one water driven turbine produced over 1,341,776,000 kilowatt hours (KWH) of electricity in it’s lifetime. This offset the burning of 286,000 tons of coal and avoided 470,000 pounds of particulates, 4,589,000 pounds of sulphur dioxide and 5,340,000 pounds of nitrogen oxide.
David VanderWyst, Nikon D7100, Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED, ISO: 100, Exposure: 1/500, Aperture: 8.0