It’s August. This time of year I reflect on how much our life has changed from a few years passed. Eight years ago today to be exact. My son, Isaiah, was born on August 29th, 2008.

Not Where We Planned To Be

It was a Friday in 2008, when I experienced the scariest time of my life. I was 25 weeks pregnant with my second child. The previous month’s ultrasound told me I was having a boy. During that appointment the baby apparently wasn’t cooperating with the ultrasound tech and she couldn’t get some clear pictures. I was told to come back in one month to repeat the process. No problem! Getting an ultrasound of the baby was one of my favorite experiences of being pregnant.

One month later I reported to the clinic for my repeat ultrasound. This time I brought my 5 yr old son so he could see his baby brother on the monitor. I also brought my mother-in-law so she could watch him for part of the appointment. I’m all smiles and grins while I pointed out the baby to my son and chatted with my mother-in-law. The tech was quiet and serious.

She completed the ultrasound and said the doctor will call me in to go over the results. We were shuffled out of the room and then I was escorted into the doctor’s exam room. My son and mother-in-law were just outside the door in a small waiting area.

We Were Not Prepared

Then, the doctor came in. She was serious. Instantly my good mood was tempered. She explained why they repeated the ultrasound. They weren’t able to get clear pictures of the baby’s heart. She was hoping some growth would improve the situation. It hadn’t. She started in about the possibility of “chambers missing in his heart”… “failing to thrive”…”the placenta not functioning properly”…

I pretty much blanked out here. I know she was still talking, but I was dissolving in tears. She wanted me in to see a perinatal specialist as soon as I could. My mother-in-law was shown into the room with my son, so I could be comforted a little bit. I don’t remember much of anything else from that appointment. I know that as soon as we were out of the building I called my husband. He was an over-the-road driver at the time and was a few states away. It felt like a world away at that moment. I tried to explain what I heard and then told him I needed him home right away. No easy task for his occupation.

He was home the next day.

This day back in August 2008 was a crash course in trusting God.  Trusting Him in the moment, when your scared out of your mind, when there are no guarantees of happy endings, when the unknown looms in front of you like a black cloud taunting you with ‘what if’s’ and ‘how did this happen?’.  We weren’t prepared to be at that place and yet all we could do was put one foot in front of the other and move forward.

Isaiah Eight Short Years Later

Today we celebrate his 8th birthday.  He made it and it’s been one heck of a ride!

Isaiah at the Mill City Museum, Minneapolis, MN - 2016
Isaiah at the Mill City Museum, Minneapolis, MN – 2016

Leave a Reply